Tunes

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Round the town

Great weekend to be in Durango, which seems to be normal middle of October every year, right after the early October wet rains come.  A lot of people were headed down to Gallup for the Zuni 100 mountain bike race, but with temps in the 70's, unlimited singletrack from town, and fall colors I had no interest in leaving. 
 By Saturdays riding, I already had logged nearly 16 hours of exercise this week, with 3 of those covering a couple of 10-mile Raider's Ridge runs, and the rest mountain biking.  So the ride Saturday needed to be at a steady endurance, but not race pace.
 It turned out to be a nice 50-mile, 6k of climbing adventure in and around town.
 And after swinging through Twin Buttes again, I saw that they added still even more new trail!  This section was not here last week, but it takes you up to a high point in the network.  The trail builder is using a Bobcat and it looks really rough at first, but already a singletrack rut has been burned in on the lower loops.   I took this picture on this switchback, because it will be a place I frequent often as it completes the path for me on my "go-to" town to CT loop.  I wonder how long it will take for one to not know it was cut mechanically?
 Dry fork is looking good, and the Aspens there still hold a few leaves.
 But alas, the bike finally spoke up and told me that I have been riding it too hard.   I punctured the front tire late in the ride while trying to go through Sailing Hawks back in town, and then I remembered that it had been a while since I set this tire up for No Tubes.  Doh, all of the sealant had dried up and it would not seal itself! 

So I pulled out the spare tube and tried to pump air, but the bike pump was broken.  It has only sat on the frame for a couple of years and not been used, so it took a while to see that a threaded stop had backed out and got lodged into the upper shaft.  A bit of fishing and then I was able to repair.  Inflate the tube, pop the wheel back on the bike and about the time I started to put things back together I noticed a big crack in my carbon Truvativ crank arm! 
 I will have to take a picture of that crankarm - but it is no fault of Truvativ.  I am actually the third owner on that one as it started with Cammeron Brennan and made it to Lenny Goodell, who traded it to me when I sold him the Specialized Carbon bike frame.  The crank is reflective of my sloppy pedaling and use of Crank Brothers pedals which allow a ton of float.  My heal on the non-drive side worn down a good chuck of the carbon and the crack formed there where that section had weakened.   I like the Truvativ carnk because of the outboard bearing BB-cups, but I do have a new Crank Brothers ISIS BB and a nice Middleburn crank in the parts bin that will go on the bike to replace this.  That is unless I can score a non-driveside Truvativ 175mm crank somewhere.
 This is nice shot of Animas Peak, from the eastern edge of Log Chutes.
So with tired legs, and bike repairs to make, I'll spend the afternoon in the garage.  Weather looks to hold through the week, so I can't wait to get back out there.

2 comments:

alekhya bizconn said...

This blog is nice.ARMS Automation was formed with innovative ideas and relevant efforts in upgradation of technologies. Arms Automation is located at Bangalore, the machine tool hub of India.Crank Shaft Steady Rest. Turning,Grinding.

sandhya bandi said...

Very colorful. ARMS Automation was formed with innovative ideas and relevant efforts in upgradation of technologies. Arms Automation is located at Bangalore, the machine tool hub of India. Arms Automation does not do different things, rather does things differently in the upgradation of Machine tool manufacturing technologies through innovative ideas. Crank Shaft Steady Rest. Turning,Grinding